Friday, September 15, 2017

Flashback Friday: Southeast USA

**This post is part of a Flashback Friday series. I will be posting photos from the trips I took as a kid accompanied by the journal entries I kept while traveling**

Destination: Southeast

Thursday, March 24, 2005

I woke up at 5:21 AM this morning.  We all got dressed and packed up.  We left home at 6:17 AM.  WAAAAAAAY too early for me.  Then, we drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove before we finally reached the Turtle Creek rest stop in Illinois.  I didn’t even remember going through Wisconsin!  Then, we drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove some more.  That was when we reached the rest stop in Indiana.  We made sandwiches there and then we drove AND ate and drove and ate and drove and drove til we got to a park with waterfalls in Indiana.  We ate cookies there.  Then we drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove some more.  We stayed at America’s Best Value Inn.  For the conclusion, we drove WAAAAAAY too much today.

Friday, March 25, 2005

This morning Dad, Sam, and I went to Wal-Mart to buy granola bars, candy, a toothbrush, notebooks, and an extension cord.  We left the “inn” a little after 7.  Then we drove and drove and drove and drove to the Smokey Mountains where we went hiking.  Then, are you ready for this, guess what we did?! Well, we drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove and drove to the top of the mountains.  I was rather disappointed.  The view was spectacular but the mountains weren’t anything what I expected.  They just looked like overgrown hills.  I expected brown rocky ones with snow on the top of them like in Europe.  We stopped at Holiday Inn to sleep and had McDonalds for supper.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

We woke up about 6:25 AM.  We got packed up and left the hotel.  Then we drove, only for an hour though this time.  We stopped at Tallulah Gorge State Park.  It was really high and really cool!  We went on over 1200 steps!  We went on a suspension bridge; it was shaky!  I loved it!  Sam was terrified of it though!  After that we went and drove for a while, a very long while.

We stopped at Great Stone Mountain after we ate lunch.  We had to climb to the top!  The view was cool!  We got ices at the top and then climbed back down.

We went to our tent at the Great Stone Mountain campground.  We had cheesy brats for supper.  After supper, we went to the gift shops, then the light show.  It was really neat.  They used laser lights to act out songs.  We went to bed at 9:30PM.  On the way there was an accident and traffic jam.  Cars were going backward up the exit ramp!

Sunday, March 27, 2005

We went to church this morning since it was Easter.  It was only a half hour though.  We ate breakfast afterwards.  It stormed a lot last night and everything was wet in the morning.  We went on the sky lift today.  We also saw a 3D movie and made candles.  We went shopping as well.  It’s storming so we decided not to stay at the campground tonight.  We drove for a while and stopped at Best Western (still in Georgia).  We ordered pizza.  We’re in a tornado watch right now and its very rainy.  We went to bed at 10 and watched boring TV all night.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Today we drove from the hotel to Charleston, South Carolina.  We didn’t do much though.  We went to the Fort Sumter Visitor Center.  Then we went to Fort Moultrie.  It was pretty boring though.  Mostly just cannons and walls, much like Fort Snelling but not nearly as fun.

It was really windy today.  We went to the campground to check in.  We’re sleeping in a cabin.  It took awhile to get unpacked but eventually we did finish then we went out to eat.  We went to On the Border, which is a Mexican restaurant.  We had chips and salsa.  I got quesadillas.  They were very very very good!

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Today we went to Fort Sumter.  I didn’t have any interest in it but mom and dad seemed to.  Actually none of the kids thought it was so great.  The only part I liked was the boat ride there and back.  Then we went to the Imax Theater.  That was pretty cool.  It was about the ocean life and stuff.  Then we walked around a little more.

We finally left and went to Target.  I got a pair of lime green flip-flops.  We went back to the campground and went swimming.  The lady soon made us get out though because we didn’t have a parent watching us.  After we got changed we roasted cheesy hot dogs and brats on the campfire.  When we finished those we made s’mores.  They were really good.  We went to bed at about 9:30PM.  Oh yeah, before we went to Target we went to a battleship place.  It was kind of boring.  I got a shell necklace at the gift shop though.

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Today we woke up at about 5:30 AM.  Way too early if you ask me.  We finished packing and then left the campground a little after six.  We drove and drove and drove and drove until we got to a Revolutionary War Battlefield in Forest Creek.  We watched a movie and then walked a mile and a forth.  Then we drove some more.  After we drove we stopped for has.  Then we drove some more and some more and some more.  Eventually we got to the Orville and Wilber Wright National Memorial.  Then we started to drive to the hotel.  We went to Sonic and I got an orange cream slush.  We drove some more and then made it to the hotel.

Thursday, March 31, 2005

This morning we woke up and watched the sun rise.  Then we went back to bed for an hour.  We then woke up and had crispies for breakfast.  We went outside after breakfast to gather seashells from the beach.

After that we went for an hour-long drive to Williamsburg where we learned about the Revolutionary War.  First, we watched a movie, which was interesting.  Then we walked around for what seemed like ever.  We got caramel apples and went to a school and a blacksmith and a brick maker, which was cool.  The brick guy told us no matter how much bricks you glaze at once it always takes 1 week.  It was getting cold and we were hungry so we left.  When we got back to the hotel we went shopping.  I got a t-shirt and salt water taffy.  We had Wendy’s for supper, my favorite!

Friday, April 1, 2005

Well we’re going to miss a few days of school because we’ve decided to go to Florida.  April Fools!  We woke up at 6 this morning and went to the beach to look for seashells again.  We packed up and left the hotel at about 7:30 AM.  We drove for two hours to Petersburg.  We looked at the museum and watched a presentation, which didn’t make any sense.  Then we went on the driving tour.  After that we drove for a very long time to Monticello, the house where Thomas Jefferson lived.  We looked at the museum and watched a movie.  Jefferson died July 4th, 1814 the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence.  Then we drove to West Virginia and stayed at Days Inn.  We are Fazoli’s.

Saturday, April 2, 2005

We’re finally heading home today!  And we got home. [Edit: I was not very good at journaling on the last day]

You can find all travel posts from Hey Dreamer Blog here.

Previous Flashback Friday posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment